Australian Attorney-Generals Department: Pacific Legal Policy Twinning Program. Application deadline 30.06.2014
The Australian Attorney-General’s Department (AGD)is inviting Pacific island countries to apply to participate in AGD’s Pacific Legal Policy Twinning Program which will run from 13 October to 5 December 2014 in Canberra. Two placements will be on offer in 2014.
This program enables Pacific island law and justice officers to be placed within a legal policy area of the Australian Attorney-General's Department for two months to gain hands on policy experience and build their capability to develop and implement policy to fight crime and corruption; improve community safety, regional stability and security; and support strong economic growth. The Australian Attorney-General's Department (AGD) strongly encourages applications from those who will share their learning and experiences with Australian agencies and within their home agency after their placement.
AGD provides participants with formal training to build their legal research, policy development and writing skills. AGD also encourages participants to bring a current legal policy project from their home agency to work on during their placement—AGD staff will guide and mentor them to plan and develop the project during their stay. AGD also supports participants to share their learning upon return by training them to deliver AGD's Legal Policy Development course. There is also potential to provide further mentoring and follow-up policy support remotely, and in-country, where the candidate's home agency requests this.
- have at least two years' work experience in a legal policy environment
- demonstrate an interest in continuing a career in legal policy
- demonstrate strong initiative and personal drive
- be able to demonstrate how the Twinning Program will assist them in their current role, including by providing details of a current legal policy project that they seek to progress through the program
- be able to commit to a two-month placement in Canberra, usually between September and December
- have a working knowledge of English.
For more information, including the application instructions and form, please visit: http://www.ag.gov.au/Internationalrelations/InternationalLegalAssistance/Pages/PacificLegalPolicyTwinningProgram.aspx